[Air-l] Computer-Mediated-Communication.

Steve Fox (NLG) stevef at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 4 16:04:13 PST 2002

Interesting...I want to say I agree, but then I hesitate. I tend to associate community with CMC, maybe because much of what I've read on the subject relates to virtual/online community studies. More household technological innovations, however, will allow one to communicate via a host of devices that go beyond the PC. For example, smart device technology such as refridgerator inventory tracking systems that prompt you to buy (or order for you) food supplies when they are running low. While it might be argued that a computer chip stores the applications that drive this technology, it can also be argued that the hardware (fridge) is not a computer - assuming our household devices don't all fall under the general classification of a 'computer'. Is there community here? And what communication is being exchanged - other than pure inventory data?