[Air-l] Re: Lurking

Uwe Matzat u.matzat at t-online.de
Wed Feb 6 08:33:14 PST 2002

I am busy wading through my saved emails - that's the reason I
react so lately to the thread on lurking in electronic group
discussions.

In December I finished my Ph.D. thesis at the Department of
Sociology, University of Groningen (the Netherlands) which is of
interest for those analyzing 'lurking' or active participation in
electronic discussions.

The thesis contributes to answering the question under which
conditions some electronic groups on the Internet reach a high
degree of active member participation (posting) in group
discussions while other Internet groups fail to involve many
members.

The focus is more on structural properties of the electronic group
(e.g. does it stimulate the discussion if an electronic group is
embedded in face-to-face networks of researchers?) than on
properties of individuals (e.g. does it stimulate the discussion if a
member is an altruist?)  that faciliate the involvement of members
in group discussions.

You don't have to read the whole book. In chapters 5 and 6 of the
book, three models for explaining the active participation of
researchers in discussions of academic mailing lists are presented
and empirically tested. These models rely on three different basic
arguments about which incentives influence the provision of help
and information in discussions of electronic groups:

1. a hope for reciprocity
2. the goal to obtain some status in the research community
3. the goal to make new contacts to other researchers

Since these models are instruments for finding out what are crucial
structural properties, they leave out ideas about altruistic
motivations, like group attachment etc, that could stimulate group
discussions.

Matzat, U. (2001). Social Networks and Cooperation in Electronic
Communities. A theoretical-empirical Analysis of Academic
Communication and Internet Discussion Groups. Amsterdam:
Thela Publishers (ISBN 90-367-1541-5)

The models make use of economic price-theory in a very simple
way, so that the reasoning and results are understandable for
Internet researcher who may not be  familiar with micro-economics.

By the way, the book is also online available at the university
library of the University of Groningen :-):

http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/ppsw/u.matzat/

Best wishes,
Uwe
PS: The project information on my web-site is not yet up-dated. I
am sorry!

+++++++++++++++++++++
Uwe Matzat
Interuniversity Center for Social Science Theory and Methodology (ICS)
Department of Sociology
University of Groningen
Grote Rozenst. 31
9712 TG Groningen
The Netherlands
u.matzat at ppsw.rug.nl
Social Networks and Academic Internet Discussion Groups:
http://www2.ppsw.rug.nl/~matzat
Tel: +31/50/3636237 (NL) or +49/2841/173112 (GER)