[Air-l] referencing conundrum

Gina Neff ginasue at panix.com
Tue Feb 19 14:06:24 PST 2002

Hello all,

Lexis-nexis is a good way to get original page numbers, although not
pagination (i.e., whether a particular line was on the first page an article
or the jump page) online. It's still more proper, I think, than URLs, and
while there *are* mistakes in databases like proquest, l-n, dowjones, etc.,
they at least reference the latest, corrected version of a story. Newspaper
web sites don't necessarily have the same version of stories as in the print
version. And it's also a lot kinder to your readers who follow your
references,  as URL archives change at various newspaper sites (but not the
NYT).

I suspect that proper page citations in academic articles will continue to
decline as more people use differently paginated database sources.