[Air-l] Re: references on gender, age, support & info tech use

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 22 09:35:52 PST 2002

I'd like to add a few more references on social support and the use of
technology. The first two show how support from other online learners helps
distance students cope. The second two take look at how those who mix work
or school and home, and explore some of what other kinds of pressures exist
with bringing online work into the home.   /Caroline

Caroline Haythornthwaite, Michelle M. Kazmer, Jennifer Robins &  Susan
Shoemaker
Community Development Among Distance Learners: Temporal and Technological
Dimensions, JCMC 6(1)
http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol6/issue1/haythornthwaite.html

Kazmer, M.M. (2000). Coping in a distance environment: Sitcoms, chocolate
cake, and dinner with a friend. First Monday, 5(9).
http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_9/kazmer/index.html

Kazmer, M.M. & Haythornthwaite, C. (2001). Juggling multiple social worlds:
Distance students on and offline. American Behavioral Scientist, 45(3),
510-529. [Slightly different take on this but along the same lines to
appear in B. Wellman & C. Haythornthwaite (Eds.), The Internet in everday
life. Oxford, UK: Blackwells.]

Janet Salaff, Where Home is the Office: The New Form of Flexible Work to

At 12:01 PM 2/20/02 -0500, you wrote:

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:21:28 -0500 (EST)
>From: Eszter Hargittai <eszter at phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
>To: air-l at aoir.org
>Subject: [Air-l] references on gender, age, support & info tech use
>
>Hi,
>
>A few weeks ago I asked for references to work on gender, age and the
>importance of social support in the use of information technologies.
>Here's a list of materials to which people (from this and some other
>lists) pointed me and additional pieces I found while doing more research
>on the topic.  Thanks to all those who sent me suggestions!
>
>Eszter
>---
>http://www.eszter.com

Caroline Haythornthwaite (haythorn at uiuc.edu)
Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Coordinator, Undergraduate Minor in Information Technology Studies
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 501 East Daniel St., Champaign,
IL, 61820
phone: 217-244-7453	fax: 217-244-3302
Faculty home page:
http://alexia.lis.uiuc.edu/gslis/people/faculty/haythorn.html