[Air-l] the double negative

Lachlan Brown lach at london.com
Fri Feb 22 16:08:51 PST 2002

Well...

  The double negative is a victim of Scholasticism in the 15th century. Prior
to the application of Latin grammatical
rules to the English language when the rough speeche was admitted to the provincial Universities of Oxford and Cambridge, subaltern to the greater Universities of Europe, the double negative, which reinforced refusal, was perfectly good grammar in English. I can assure you that
 it still is, particularly in situations or
in conditions where the language is stressed
contextually. It carries and delivers the
tremendous force and vigour in the language: 'I never did nothing':
'twice over am I to be considered innocent
of the charge!' It is usually accompanied by
a bodily gesture and two balled fists.

Alliterative English would never be nowhere
without the double negative.

Consider the Old English Poem
'The Seafarer'... another time maybe.

What are 'Nordic Sports' at Luther? Sounds rough and Hebridean.

Lachlan Brown

Barry Wellman wrote:
> Hey, I didn't do nothing wrong.

Oh, no, Barry! Not only are the investigation paranoia police after you, now
you're going to have the grammar police after you, too!

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup