[Air-l] rhetorical analysis on SCMC

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Feb 25 13:34:29 PST 2002

isn't there lag in any and every system of communication? vocality has
lag, between when it is voiced and heard.  Signs have lag between when
it is presented and it is seen.  In fact all forms of communication have
lag of some sort, the question for me is not that it exists, but where
the lag originates; the categories of the lag that we use to analyze it,
what they are similar to, and different from.

If lag comes from a an intermediate processor that is like a person
pausing to think before they speak.  If it comes from the network that
is like voice through air.  If it comes from our machine, then it is
like us interpretting a new language while we are thinking of other
things. There are corellates between human and machinic in the case of
lag.  Arguably this might be due to the time and its ontological
construction.  Time is the human category that we bring to the table and
build into machines.

Taking the machinic(technocentric) vs the humanist(usercentric)
perspectives, I suspect in the end will do no significant work here.  I
may be wrong.  The definition should be stable across systems, but the
systems may change.  rhus we have something where lag is present and
synchronous/assynchronous might end up meaning different things in this
construction.  For instance, in synchronous, I assume a certain
concurrent  presence between every person and their interface based on
proximity to that machine and the apparent immediacy of response, like
irc.  Assynchronous assumes that there need not be a proximal or
immediate concurrent presence between every person and the interface.