[Air-l] Re: Air-l digest, Vol 1 #313 - 6 msgs

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 27 10:08:16 PST 2002

Hi

Like Robert Tynes I wonder what is primary in Lachlan's note :-)
[Yes I hear you Lachlan you like provocation; me too]

Early introduction of networked ICT in Africa dates back the 70's with the
linking of academic research units through the EARN network. Later on APc, Rio,
Cabeca all offered store and forward messaging capabilites to academic,
research, NGO and other groups.
For more on email use in Africa see for instance
http://www.bellanet.org/partners/aisi/proj/conn.htm & ~findings.htm

I am not sure what is more shameful use of ICT: these ridiculous spams or the
systematic routing of US based porn sites through all sorts of external relays.

One may further wonder if the attention of a group like AoIR about ICT use in
Africa could not be focused on more substantive aspects than spam.

Michel

alrao> Message: 2
alrao> From: "Lachlan Brown" <lachlan at london.com>
alrao> To: air-l at aoir.org
alrao> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:50:24 -0500
alrao> Subject: [Air-l] re: The West African Scam
alrao> Reply-To: air-l at aoir.org

alrao> The experience of western technology in
alrao> West Africa seems to be mediated by multinational mining corporations,
alrao> personal and corruption, killings, and desperate pleas. It is little wonder that
alrao> one of the primary uses of email from
alrao> West Africa is variation on this dreadful
alrao> tale.