[Air-l] name game

Zunt at aol.com Zunt at aol.com
Wed Feb 20 22:04:44 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/20/2002 8:25:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wellman at chass.utoronto.ca writes:

> I checked on his name and there is someone at that address at Raleigh. In
>  what Mapquest suggests is a residential neighborhood (lots of suburban
>  crescents).
>
>  A web search reveals nobody by that name in Raleigh.
>
>  Is this a well-known scam or spam-finder.

It is not necessarily a scam; if it is, I've surely not heard of it.  But I'd
also be rather cautious regarding personal mail from a complete stranger
until identity and motives can be sorted out better.  Many well-intentioned
folks use the Internet for bona fide genealogical research, whether at a
professional or amateur level.  Some try to get in touch with people who
might be related, not only to fill in branches of family trees but also
simply to make friendly connections.

Cheers,

Bob Briggs (with a strange-sounding AOL e-mail address)
Westport, MA