[Air-l] rhetorical analysis on SCMC

Christian Nelson cnelson at comm.umass.edu
Mon Feb 25 11:46:51 PST 2002

Joao Vieira da Cunha wrote:

> Christian,
>
> Sure, but one can concede that users can socially construct systems such as
> instant messaging as synchronous. It is an issue of whether we're using
> technocentric definitions of systems or usercentric definitions of them.

Very true. I was only thinking of the definition of _synchronous_ from a
"techy" perspective. In this case, I don't feel bad about privileging that
perspective, as those who construct technologically asynchronous systems as
though they were synchronous are constructing away/deconstructing while
presumably operating with the same notions of synchrony as techy persons do. I
think.
--Christian