[Air-l] some links perhaps of interest

Eszter Hargittai eszterlists at netscape.net
Wed Jan 2 11:23:20 PST 2002

Dear AoIR Crowd,

I've started an announcement (i.e. not discussion) list with mostly Web site recommendations (and anything else I may find of interest to distribute) in large part focusing on the social and policy implications of info tech.  Today's issue has several links that I thought may be of interest to the air-l readership so I thought I'd post a copy here.  I won't bother the list with future issues. If you're interested, you can sign up at http://www.eszter.com/elist .

A Healthy and Good New Year to All!

Eszter

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
This message was sent via Eszter's List.  Please feel free to forward
to others, but please include this introduction. For more information
about Eszter's List, including instructions for (un)subscribing,  see
                    http://www.eszter.com/elist
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

In this issue:
About E-LIST content
Web site recommendations: Info.tech/Year in review/Women&Afghanistan

First, a few words on what I will and will not post on this list.  I have
nothing against posting commercial sites as long as they come highly
recommended.  In fact, I'm quite interested in improving informed consumer
choice so I'm very curious to hear about good experiences with online
retailers.  What I will not post are sites that require plug-ins or
programs that are painful to deal with.  Example: I will not post anything
that only works with RealOne/RealPlayer as that program is intrusive and
annoying beyond belief and I am not willing to reinstall it on my machine
(it was hard enough to get rid of it completely in the first place) nor do
I want to encourage others to have it.  If your site has audio content,
please make it available in multiple formats or choose one that can be run
on multiple players (e.g. .avi).  Thanks.  Hope the New Year's starting
off well for everyone.  -- Eszter

20 Yr Usenet Archive - first mention of Commodore 64, MS-DOS, Mac, AOL,
IRC, Tim Berners-Lee's announcement of the World Wide Web project, etc.
http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

2001 on the Internet: The Year in Review
http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/features/2001review/2001review1.shtml

The Year in Internet Law
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/28/technology/28CYBERLAW.html
(requires free registration)

Number of Web Pages by Language
http://cyberatlas.internet.com/big_picture/demographics/print/0,,5901_408521,00.html

Is Google moving in on Amazon's turf?
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100863,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_nbs_hl

How to kill your spam
http://www.jcphome.com/nospam.html

Example of problems with email filters (AOL filters Harvard's admissions
decision emails)
http://www.nandotimes.com/nation/story/209047p-2015925c.html

ACM Computer Supported Cooperative Work 2002 (CFP deadline: March 22)
http://www.acm.org/cscw2002

A Frustrated ACLU Tries to Guide Consulates Through a Thicket
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/02/national/02ACLU.html

Kabul's Lost Women, Many Abducted by Taliban Still Missing
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A62604-2001Dec18

Humanity Denied: Systematic Violations of Women's Rights in Afghanistan
http://www.hrw.org/reports/2001/afghan3/

Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan
http://www.rawa.org

Today's quote:
History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they
have exhausted all other alternatives.
-- Abba Eban