[Air-l] increase in spam

Derek McMillan derekmcmillan at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 6 05:21:52 PST 2002

What I have also noticed is that the spelling and grammar of the spam has
deteriorated.  This suggests to me that the ways and means of sending out
spam have become very widely available to individuals and not just to
commercial ventures.  Spam messages offering the ability to "send out
millions of free advertisements daily" have been arriving for some time.
In fact the amount of spam which I personally receive has been drastically
cut because I use an effective filter on hotmail only taking messages from
people in my address book.

>From: Laura Gurak <gurakl at umn.edu>
>To: AIR List <air-l at aoir.org>
>Subject: [Air-l] increase in spam...
>
>Has anyone else noticed a sudden increase in the amount of porn-type spam
>they are getting? At least six people, including one journalist, have been
>asking me what's up. I've heard from both academics and folks in the
>private
>sector, and all seem to indicate a sudden (past 5-7 days) rise in this
>stuff. I personally have noticed it as well. Anyone know what's going on?

>Laura J. Gurak, Ph.D. Associate Professor
>Rhetoric Department, University of Minnesota
>1994 Buford Ave., St. Paul, MN 55108  v 612-624-3773
>also--Director, Internet Studies Center -- www.isc.umn.edu
>Faculty Fellow, Law School
>gurakL at tc.umn.edu   http://www.rhetoric.umn.edu/faculty/LGurak/
http://www.geocities.com/derekmcmillan1951
mirrored at http://derekmcmillan.tripod.com
You can contact me using messenger or my email address.