[Air-l] And I thought I was kidding ...

Ken Friedman ken.friedman at bi.no
Sat Jan 19 23:48:45 PST 2002

Dear Colleagues,

In the recent thread on unsolicited porn spam, I sent a
playful response to Marj Kibby's note. I thought I was
kidding, but the world of empirical research seem to
contain far more than is dreamt of in all my philosophy.

This morning, I received a spam under this header:

--snip--

FURRY NAKED BARNYARD FRIENDS!!!!!

--snip--

If anything, my fantasy of "young mammals in steamy
bipedal locomotion" seems modest. These people don't
stop with mammals:

--snip--

ZOOS! is offering exclusive content what you will never
find anywhere else. Huge breeds, Horses, STALLIONS,
Snakes, Exotic animals...

--snip--

This gives new meaning to that sign we used to see
at airports, "NO jokes, please!" The principle behind
the sign was that certain kinds of jokes may be mistaken
for or confused with reality.

Perhaps AIR-L is being monitored by pornographers
who are harvesting our addresses while using post
content to segment their markets.

Unless something new and astonishing arrives, my research
on the subject of spam will end here. This demonstrates
that the AIR-L list remains a source of "exclusive content
what you will never find anywhere else."

Best regards,

Ken

--

Ken Friedman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design

Visiting Professor
Advanced Research Institute
School of Art and Design
Staffordshire University