[Air-l] foucault and selves

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sat Jan 26 07:50:32 PST 2002

closely related, overlapping, and sometimes mistaken for blog and blog
culture are diarists.  Diarists have long been studied, with whole
groups of scholars dedicated to 17th century diarists and 18th
century(certainly others), studying forms, content, historical import,
etc. in effect attempting to construct the self.  Foucault uses his
knowledge of diarists quite significantly, he has an article entitled
"L'écrire de soi" which might be translated somewhere that deals with
this.  I'd also look more closely at the Tel Quel movement relatedly.
There are also articles that use focault in terms of diarist culture.
It looks like you are using "what is an author", which is a good text
for this, but there is a great deal of literature that might be applied
to this topic:)  hope i helped.