[Air-l] summary of responses about community-networks

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Tue Jan 22 07:38:30 PST 2002

I would also take a peak at:

http://onlinedemocracy.winona.org/startup.html
http://www.e-democracy.org/mpls

Traditional CNs from the Free-Net era never recovered from the web.
Once they shifted into content or the provision of online services to
local organizations from bulletin board interactivity among local
people they pretty much died.

A growing trend (outside the U.S.) is the notion of community portals
or gateways which are often funded by government.  It is within this
context that local online interactivity could be built.

More on local interactivity:

http://www.publicus.net/articles/future.html#Local

Other e-lists on this topic (you'll have to search for the subscribe
pages):

Globalcn2000 at yahoogroups.com, conet at ukco.org.uk, members at afcn.org,
COMMUNET at LIST.UVM.EDU, eacn at ukco.org.uk

Cheers,