[Air-l] Re: New Theoretical Approaches to the Self in Cyber-Culture

Christian Nelson cnelson at comm.umass.edu
Tue Jan 22 19:38:23 PST 2002

noci wrote:

> i agree with that point- i've interacted with quite a few individuals who
> created such semi-independent selves.

Not sure what you mean by semi-independent selves in light of what follows:

> i've talked to constructs who were acting on their own behalf. sure, they were
> once spawned by a physical self, but as soon as they started differentiating
> between online and offline space, they became semi-independent beings, vaguely
> disconnected from the parent minds, but still functional, valid characters.

Sounds like we're talking about two different things. You're talking about
different self-presentations by one physical being (which I don't see as at all
independent of their producer), while I'm talking about self-presentations that
aren't (simply) the product of one being (again, self-presentations by robots
created as much by programs as by those who utilize these programmed robots for
their own uses).

--Christian Nelson