[Air-l] Re: New Theoretical Approaches to the Self in

Jeremy W. Crampton jcrampton at gsu.edu
Fri Jan 25 09:51:18 PST 2002

Tim et al.,

In my case I meant that since Foucault identifies confession as a
historically and spatially particular technique of the self (one's
relationship to oneself), which is formed as a method of coming into a more
authentic relationship with oneself in early Christianity/Middle Ages,
then...

Then could cyberspace be fruitfully seen as another (historically and
spatially particular) regime for this confessional modality to operate?

Foucault did indeed see the confession as a technique which was understood
as the production of truth about oneself:

"He was authenticated by the discourse of truth he was able or obliged to
pronounce concerning himself. The truthful confession was inscribed at the
heart of the procedures of individualization [subjectification] by power"
F., Hist. of Sex. 1, pp. 58-59.

As a consequence it came to be seen that "confession frees, but power
reduces one to silence" (p. 60). Of course it is his project to show that
this has "taken us in" and is a "ruse" and in fact power does not silence
nor confession make you free from power relations.

As for cyberspace therefore we can interpret it as confessional in both a
weak and a strong sense. The weak sense (not all that weak actually!) would
document the many amazing ways and opportunities in which one can produce
the truth about onself (blogging, chat rooms, IM, anonymized sex discourses,
actual confessions on eg., notproud.com, and so on). I think blogging in
particular should be analyzed as a modern digital regime of confession going
back to the Middle Ages.

Anyway, the stronger sense would be that anything we do in cyberspace is
towards a renunciation of the body (as eg. the Christian martyrs who
sacrificed their bodies, either to the death or through penitance) and to
overcoming the body in order to reach... what? a higher spiritual state? A
more mindful state? A more truthful state? Penitance? Cyberspace as the will
to penitance!

I think the former is certainly an easier argument to make, but remain
intrigued by the second...

thanks...