[Air-l] re: introduction

Ben Davidson bendavidson at totalise.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 16:20:23 PST 2002

Aha -  "a few points as a scholar of Internet, and as a Dad", you say.  I
look forward to hearing them.  I have a 5 month year old who is crying
upstairs as I pursue my midnight researches on the Internet, and a 2-year
old and 14-year old, both asleep (for now).

My current (ie right this second) researches:  I have been asked to help
someone with AIDS, who has just also been diagnosed with terminal cancer,
develop a private website with integrated videoconferencing, as a means of
maintaining contact with parents on the other side of the globe.

The website/embedded videolink etc. is no problem - it's what I seem to do
mainly these days, in a bid to enhance communication in online groups, while
my senior lectureship and group analyst work have taken a lower profile.
But I'm wondering if you (or anyone here, come to that), works in this area
and knows of any useful support resources for those with AIDS, or teminal
illnesses, or their families, that I can make part of their online
experience.

I just dug out a chapter from the book you mentioned, 'Ethical Strife' (how
did you come across that, by the way?), entitled 'From Marginality, through
Liminality and beyond'.  I thought it best to reproduce the pre-publication
version on the web:
http://www.bendavidson.co.uk/professional_pages/publications/books/estrife/c
hapters/marginality_liminality.htm (sorry about the URL length).  I expect
the publishers won't like it being reproduced, but there it is.  I have just
re-read for the first time in about five years and am stunned by its
quality.  And also by the fact that my friend who wrote it has recovered.

Someone here asked about the impact of the Internet on marginalised
communities, quite recently.  I wonder if this is worth reading in that
context.

Anyway, time I went to bed.  Thank you for listening.

Ben