[Air-l] Back in the Temple of Uruk ...

Ken Friedman ken.friedman at bi.no
Wed Jan 9 10:03:00 PST 2002

Dear Colleagues,

Joining Eszter Hargittai, I also request that members of this list do
not carelessly repost earlier messages. Careful editing will make the
Internet a better place to live.

After general spam and porn spam, the third great email irritation is
careless posting to lists that are better served by selective
editorial attention.

In the old days, when we wrote on paper or pressed cuneiform wedges
into clay, we used a technology called "quoting."

A quote was a selective passage taken from a relevant text and
applied to the topic or theme at hand.

Back in the Temple of Uruk, the head scribe instructed us on how to
do this. We were taught to take a passage of text, surrounding it
with the little double-wedge signs of quotation, to write carefully,
"so that my name should be established for distant days and never
fall into oblivion, so that my praise should be spread throughout the
Land, and my glory should be proclaimed in the foreign lands."

Then we would bake the tablet and hand it to a runner who would take
it on the post-road that served as a pre-electronic Internet located
in the linked highway nodes, river routes, oases, and cities of our
physical world. (The physical world involved a kind of reality that
existed before virtual reality.)

In the AIR world, all these functions happen using electrons to
transfer messages at the speed of light. Nevertheless, the habits
once instilled by the temple scribes and carried forward into the
eras of papyrus and parchment would do well here.

We are still close to the era when Thomas Sprat of the Royal Society
wrote that good scientific and scholarly communication required, "a
close, naked, natural way of speaking; positive expressions; clear
senses; a native easiness."

Needless clutter defeats the plain language and clarity we ought to encourage.

Those who write carefully are more widely read and far more useful
than those who litter notes with carelessly repeated headers,
footers, forwarding arrows, and nested passages of clutter.

Those who write carefully will join the great Sumerian who
proclaimed, "Wherever I look to, there I go; wherever my heart
desires, I reach. By the life of my father holy Lugalbanda, and Nanna
the king of heaven and earth, I swear that the words written on my
tablet are true!"

Best regards,

Ken Friedman

The Sumerians also had careless forwards and reposts. This is my
favorites, found in level 3 of the Suen excavations,