[Air-l] Re: Flame Wars

Nancy White nancyw at fullcirc.com
Fri Jan 11 11:25:51 PST 2002

I'm wondering about the distinction between "Flame Wars" and the ongoing
occurrence of conflict in online group interactions. Heck, conflict
happens. Sometimes it escalates to what would be an argument F2F. Is that a
flame war? Or is that a relic of previous time.

What I find is the tolerance for conflict varies greatly by group, and the
extent to which a group will let the ongoing conflict of two ore more
members dominate the online interaction varies. Group norms, agreements,
the purpose of the group, all play into the equation, just like offline.

But yes, in my experience there are still frequent occurrences of online
conflict. But I think there is less tolerance for these as sport in many of
the places I interact, primarily because the interaction is not purely a
social activity, but focused on work, information sharing, etc. That said,
in my online social spaces, oh, YES, it still happens all the time and yes,
I think for some it is sport. For others, it is the reason to stop
interacting in these spaces or to remain silent. It is a potent social
factor in online interaction.

And I'm nodding to Eva's thoughtful post about the content/emotion
associated with "flames."

One more thought. I also believe that conflict (which is the source of some
flames -- not all is baiting for fun!)  plays an important role in groups.
 From a facilitative standpoint, it is important to distinguish between the
flame (manifestation of hurt/misunderstanding/anger) and the conflict or
misunderstanding of the ideas *behind* the flame. There is often real fruit
in pursuing that conversation. So in a sense, flaming might add to the
community if it is held in a way by the members that does not harm the
individual. Does that make any sense? It must be Friday!

Nancy

Nancy White
Full Circle Associates - http://www.fullcirc.com - 206-517-4754
Next Online Facilitation Course starts January 28th -
http://www.fullcirc.com/ws/onfaccourse.htm