[Air-l] Reflections on flame wars.

Ken Friedman ken.friedman at bi.no
Sun Jan 13 12:47:04 PST 2002

Interesting discussion on flaming and flame wars.

Couple of quick reflections:

1) A tip of the hat to Mickey Waxman

Thanks for brining the Fantastic Four into the thread. Johnny Storm
used to shout, "Flame On." His companions were Mr. Fantastic,
Invisible Girl, and The Thing.

2) Flaming in history

The verb expression "to flame," and the adjective "flaming," has a
long heritage. Flaming has been a way to express displeasure since
the Great Moderator expelled Adam and Eve from the original
discussion group. "After he drove the man out, he placed on the east
side of Eden cherubim and a faming sword flashing back and forth to
guard the way to the tree of life" (Genesis 3:24).

Throughout history, fire and flames have been used as a metaphor for
passion, strong feelings, and heated or intemperate speech. (Flames
produce heat. That which is intemperate is the contrary of that which
is temperate, mild, or cool.)

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary traces the word to the 14th
century, "Main Entry: 2flame Function: verb Inflected Form(s):
flamed; flam·ing Date: 14th century intransitive senses 1 : to burn
with a flame : BLAZE 2 a : to burst or break out violently or
passionately <flaming with indignation> b : to send an angry,
hostile, or abusive electronic message 3 : to shine brightly : GLOW
<color flaming up in her cheeks> transitive senses 1 : to send or
convey by means of flame <flame a message by signal fires> 2 : to
treat or affect with flame: as a : to sear, sterilize, or destroy by
fire b : FLAMBé 3 : to send an angry, hostile, or abusive electronic
message to or about - flam·er noun." And "Main Entry: flam·ing
Pronunciation: 'flA-mi[ng] Function: adjective Date: 14th century 1 :
resembling or suggesting a flame in color, brilliance, or wavy
outline <the flaming sunset sky> <flaming red hair> 2 : being on fire
: BLAZING 3 : INTENSE, PASSIONATE <flaming youth> 4 -- used as an
intensive <you flaming idiot> - flam·ing·ly /-mi[ng]-lE/ adverb."

The 1913 edition of Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary gave the
verb as "Flame (Page: 566) Flame, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Flamed (?); p.
pr. & vb. n. Flaming.] [OE. flamen, flaumben, F. flamber, OF. also,
flamer. See Flame, n.] 1. To burn with a flame or blaze; to burn as
gas emitted from bodies in combustion; to blaze. The main blaze of it
is past, but a small thing would make it flame again. Shak. 2. To
burst forth like flame; to break out in violence of passion; to be
kindled with zeal or ardor. He flamed with indignation. Macaulay.
Flame (Page: 566) Flame, v. t. To kindle; to inflame; to excite. And
flamed with zeal of vengeance inwardly. Spenser." And the adjective
as "Flaming (Page: 566) Flam"ing (?), a. 1. Emitting flames; afire;
blazing; consuming; illuminating. 2. Of the color of flame;
high-colored; brilliant; dazzling. In flaming yellow bright." Prior.
3. Ardent; passionate; burning with zeal; irrepressibly earnest; as,
a flaming proclomation or harangue."

For the relevant definitions of the verb "to flame," The Oxford
English Dictionary offers, "1. a. intr. To burn with a flame or with
flames; to emit flames; to blaze. Also with away, forth, out, up.
1377 LANGL. P. Pl. B. XVII. 205 A fyre flaumende forth oute of boe.
?a1400 Morte Arth. 1975 Owre kyng gerte felschene his fyrez,
flawmande fulle heghe. 1481 CAXTON Myrr. II. iii. 67 Fyre
brennyng..goth flammyng vnto the clowdes. 1548 HALL Chron. 195b,
Other causes..made ye fyre to flame. 1601 SHAKES. Jul. C. I. iii. 16
His left Hand which did flame..Like twentie Torches. 1632 LITHGOW
Trav. x. 479 Fire lying hid under ashes, and touch'd will flame. 1654
H. L'ESTRANGE Chas. I (1655) 165 The Admiral of Portugal began to
flame being fired with two Holland fire ships. 1667 MILTON P.L. I. 62
A Dungeon horrible, on all sides round As one great Furnace flam'd.
1725 DE FOE Voy. round World (1840) 242 A volcano..flamed out that
night. 1774 GOLDSM. Nat. Hist. (1862) I. viii. 39 Spirits of wine
will flame with a candle, but not with a spark. c1839 LANDOR Imag.
Conv., Southey & Porson II, There is a paleness in intense fires;
they do not flame out or sparkle. 1853 KANE Grinnell Exp. xxxix. 356
Lard lamps flaming away vigorously. . . 2. fig. a. Of the passions,
etc.: To burn like flames. to flame out: to burst out violently.
a1591 R. GREENHAM Wks. (1599) 22 Though he keep thy sinne from
flaming out. a1625 BEAUM. & FL. Lover's Progress I. i. (Rtldg.) 637/2
Lascivious fires, should such flame in you. 1707 NORRIS Treat.
Humility vi. 240 Here and there where their malice flames out. 1849
MACAULAY Hist. Eng. II. 244 The rage of James flamed high. b. Of
persons: To burn (with envy, fury, indignation, etc.); to look
angrily or passionately upon. to flame out, up: to break out into
open anger or indignation; to 'fire up'. 1548 UDALL, etc. Erasm. Par.
Matt. xxii. 106 Whiche wholy flame with enuy and hatred. 1681 CROWNE
Hen. VI, IV. 49, I flame with fury to be at it. a1701 SEDLEY Happy
Pair (1766) 16 With heat of loue he flam'd upon his mate. 1754
RICHARDSON Grandison V. xiv. 112 If the alliance..take effect..how
will she flame out! 1849 MACAULAY Hist. Eng. I. 195 He flamed with
indignation. 1858 CARLYLE Fredk. Gt. (1865) I. III. vi. 180 An
Osianderism..much flamed-upon by the more orthodox ism. 1858 Ibid.
(1865) II. V. viii. 132 Queen Sophie..did once..lose her royal
patience and flame out. 3. transf. To glow like flame or as with
flames; to shine brightly, gleam ruddily. Also with away, forth, up,
etc. 13.. E.E. Allit. P. A. 768 Maskellez bryd at bryt con flambe.
1530 PALSGR. 551/1, I have sene the yerthe flame a nyght season lyke
any fyre. 1535 STEWART Cron. Scot. II. 320 The face of Phebus flamand
fair. 1621 BEAUM. & FL. Thierry & Theodoret III. ii. (Rtldg.) 417/2
There's anger yet Flames in your eyes. 1698 CROWNE Caligula I. Dram.
Wks. 1874 IV. 360 Cæsar [led] A flying camp of ranting concubines,
Who flam'd, and gave a lustre to the day. c1710 C. FIENNES Diary
(1888) 257 Diamonds wch flamed at ye Least motion. 1740 DYER Ruins
Rome 21 The rising sun Flames on the ruins. 1777 F. BURNEY Diary
Oct., This..room was..flaming with velvet. 1807 W. IRVING Salmag.
(1824) 133 Fling..a red shawl over the figure of a fashionable belle,
and let her flame away with it in Broadway. 1826 SYD. SMITH Wks.
(1859) II. 74 The mud is flaming with the scarlet curlew. 1882 EDNA
LYALL Donovan xv, She felt the colour flame up in her cheeks. 1883
STEVENSON Silverado Sq. 15 The dentist..flamed forth in his second
dress as a captain of banditti. 4. a. intr. To move as or like flame.
1633 P. FLETCHER Purple Isl. XI. iv, Those holy Fishers once amongs
Thou flamedst bright with sparkling parted tongues. 1732 POPE Ess.
Man II. 65 Meteor-like, flame lawless thro' the void. 1892 TENNYSON
Death none 38 (Akbar's Dream) Once again thou flamest heavenward. b.
trans. To send forth or convey by flaming. 14.. LYDG. Balade of our
Ladie ix, Flambe down e doleful light of thyn influence. 1610 SHAKES.
Temp. I. ii. 200 In euery Cabyn, I flam'd amazement: sometime I'ld
diuide, And burne in many places. 1892 T. A. COOK Old Touraine I. 91
An old system of signalling by beacon fires..which flamed messages
along the valley. 5. To burn, set on fire, consume with flames. Also
fig. 1583 STANYHURST Æneis III. (Arb.) 79 Sundry hostes are flamed on
altars. 1590 SPENSER F.Q. III. ix. 18 Malbecco seeing them
resolvd..To flame the gates. 1612 N. FIELD Woman's a Weather-cock I.
i, The Masculine Element of Fire Shall flame his Pyramids downe to
the Earth. 1737 WHISTON Josephus' Antiq. Diss. III. xiii, Some were
nailed to crosses, and others flamed to death. 1942 T. S. ELIOT
Little Gidding i. 7 The brief sun flames the ice, on pond and
ditches. 6. To cause to glow with enthusiasm. zeal, etc.; to kindle,
inflame, excite, animate. Obs. c1380 WYCLIF Sel. Wks. III. 36 e swete
odour erof schulde flawme mennys hertis. 1596 SPENSER F.Q. V. i. 14
Flam'd with zeal of vengeance inwardly, He ask'd [etc.]. 1627-77
FELTHAM Resolves I. xiv. 22 That sacred vigour which had wont..To
flame the Poets noble brest. 1640 SHIRLEY Coronation II. Djb, Their
courage is so nobly flamed. 7. To subject to the action of flame. Cf.
Sc. FLAMB. 1875 Ure's Dict. Arts III. 88 After flaming, the pieces
are successively laid on an inclined table exposed to the fire. 1885
DOLLEY Bacteria Investigation I. 69 The pipette is first thoroughly
sterilized by flaming every portion of it.

For the adjective "flaming," OED gives: "1. a. That flames; in flames
or on fire, as a combustible; esp. in flaming sword. b. flaming
chapel = F. chapelle ardente: a chapel or chamber thickly set with
lighted tapers. c. flaming onions, an anti-aircraft projectile
consisting of about ten balls of fire shot upwards in succession, so
called from its resemblance to a string of onions (see also quot.
1943). Services' slang. 2. a. Burning hot, inflamed, fiery. b.
quasi-adv., as flaming-hot. lit. and fig. c. Used euphemistically for
a profane epithet. Also as adv. 3. transf. a. Emitting rays of light,
flashing, glowing, brilliant. flaming fly = FIREFLY. b. in regard to
colour: Resembling flame, very bright or vivid. c. Of a person:
Gaudy, 'loud', flaring. 4. fig. a. Highly coloured, highflown;
startling, extravagant. b. flaming youth [Shakes. Ham. III. iv. 84]:
a collective term for young persons, alluding to their
characteristically vigorous and unrestrained behaviour or ways.
Chiefly U.S. 5. Flagrant, glaring, monstrous. ? Obs. 6. Like waving
flame in appearance; flamboyant. Hence flamingly adv."

I seem to recall some discussion of these issues in George Lakoff's
1987 book from University of Chicago Press, Women, Fire and Dangerous
Things: What Categories Reveal about the Mind

To use the metaphor of "flaming" would likely have been carried
forward to Internet slang without regard to other factors.

The proximate historical connections are interesting, but they, too,
are related to the foundational metaphors. Long before the era of
computer-mediated communications, visual metaphors in still or
animated cartoons and movies featured angry characters that turned
red. They exploded into rage with steam-whistle sounds and visual
effects ranging from volcano-like eruptions and bursting valves to
exploding thermometers.

For that matter, the intemperate and hotheaded Johnny Storm often did
the same, with predictable effects on the villains who incurred his
fiery wrath.

3) Flames today

It may only be my sense of things, but I observe that flame wars are
less common now than in the past.

In contrast, heated scholarly debate continues, as it has done since
the days of the first journals and learned publications.

"If it is burned up, he will suffer loss;
he himself will be saved,
but only as one escaping through the flames."

-- I Corinthians 3:15

Best regards - or should I say, rather, "Warmest wishes," -

Ken

--

Ken Friedman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Leadership and Strategic Design

Visiting Professor
Advanced Research Institute
School of Art and Design
Staffordshire University