[Air-l] Research Agenda on the Future of E-Democracy

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Tue Jan 15 16:49:39 PST 2002

It was great to meet so many of you in my hometown of Minneapolis
last fall.

I am looking for comments on my "Future of E-Democracy" speech:
http://www.publicus.net/articles/future.html

In particular, I am interested in any research that would help set a
base line for my "predictions" that leading government-based e-
democracy applications would become more universal by 2015. I am also
interested in any survey data (I saw a number of power point slides
zoom by in Mpls) that get at the "e-citizen" demand/expectations
function.

As a practitioner and networker with close ties to the academic world
I have no problem asserting my view based on my experience and hope
that a researcher somewhere will prove me right or wrong.  If
anything in my speech connects to your current research or inspires
you to dig in, drop me a note and let's talk it through.

Cheers,
Steven Clift
http://www.publicus.net

*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

                                     --- Please Forward --->

Future of E-Democracy - Speech by Steven Clift, January 2002

An extended version of my "Future of E-Democracy - The 50 Year Plan"
speech is now available online at:

      http://www.publicus.net/articles/future.html

This article shares a pragmatic, yet futuristic vision of governance
when e-democracy exists as an integrated part of "real" everyday
representative democracy. It includes dozens of examples and web
links to leading government e-democracy applications and important
primary source material.  I try to answer two big questions - Which
e-democracy applications will become universal in the coming decade?
What long-term trends will influence efforts to improve our
democracies through the use of information and communication
technologies?

This my most important article since the release of my E-Democracy
E-Book <http://www.publicus.net/ebook> in June 2000.

Here is the outline of the speech:

Introduction
Defining E-democracy
E-Governance - Exceptional Practice Makes Perfect
-- E-mail Notice
-- In-person Public Hearing Recordings and Materials
-- Online Public Hearings and Consultations
-- Wired Politicians Reach Out and Serve, or Perish
-- Local Civic Deliberations and Global Networking
Trending Toward the Future - Why not look through 2040?
-- Family and Social Networking
-- E-Government - The E-Business Model that Works?
-- New Breed of Politician After 2015
-- E-Citizens, the Ultimate Challenge
Conclusion

Read it online from <http://www.publicus.net/articles/future.html>.
Please send in your comments or share your thoughts publicly on the
web forum linked from the speech.

I also want to note that additional short articles, including "An
Internet of Democracy," the "Top Ten E-Democracy 'To Do List' for
Governments Around the World," and the "Top Ten Tips for "Weos" -
Wired Elected Officials" are available from <http://publicus.net>.
My next short article will share the top ten tips on government and
civic online consultations.  Join my Democracies Online Newswire
<http://www.e-democracy.org/do> (details below) to be notified about
the pending article and other online resources related to democracy
and the Internet.

Sincerely,

Steven Clift
http://www.publicus.net
Democracies Online
http://www.e-democracy.org/do

P.S. Here is my mini-bio and an invitation to join my Democracies
Online Newswire.

About the Author

Steven Clift is an online strategist and public speaker focused on
the use of the Internet in democracy, governance, and community. For
a decade he has worked to fundamentally improve democracy and
citizen participation through the use of the Internet.  Introduced
around the world as one of the leading experts on e-democracy, he
actively networks people around the world and shares information and
ideas through his 2300 member Democracies Online Newswire. For his
full biography, visit <http://www.publicus.net/index.html#bio>.

Democracies Online Newswire

Join now from:

     http://www.e-democracy.org/do

DO-WIRE is your primary source for what's important and happening
with the convergence of democracy and the Internet around the world.
DO-WIRE is a free, low volume, moderated e-mail announcement list.

Launched in January 1998, DO-WIRE now connects over 2300 experts,
practitioners, journalists, and citizens from around the world. If
you are interested in democracy online, which includes politics
online, new media, e-governance, e-government, online advocacy,
citizen interaction and related topics, then join us.

Each week, well known e-democracy expert and speaker Steven Clift
forwards, with occasional analysis, no more than seven carefully
selected messages.  Posts include news, article, and report web
links, event and conference announcements, calls for papers, and
often uncover important "primary source" online resources, projects,
and initiatives of significance.

Browse the web archive from:

     http://www.mail-archive.com/do-wire@tc.umn.edu/

DO-WIRE Member Comments

Comments from DO-WIRE members are the best invitation to join:

    'must reading'
    'highest quality'
    'interesting content'
    'keeps me informed ... not inundated'
    'incredibly rich, diverse, deep coverage'
    'best source ... invaluable resource'
    'your contributions are ... informative and enlightening'
    'thoughtful analysis and provocative personal perspective'

Subscribe via E-mail

To SUBSCRIBE for direct e-mail delivery, please type your e-mail
address in the form above or send an e-mail message to:

     listserv at tc.umn.edu

In the message body, write:

     SUB DO-WIRE "Your Name (Place)"

Please note that you must confirm your subscription via e-mail.

- END -
^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: clift at publicus.net
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  DO-WIRE at TC.UMN.EDU     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  listserv at tc.umn.edu          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***