[Air-l] Trying not to flame...

Cristian Berrio cristianberrioz at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 16:47:05 PST 2002

Dear Eva:

Thanks for wrapping up such a bunch of information and give give some
orientation to the flame case! I am new to this digest and it is very
difficult for me to keep the track of all the comments as some of them
seem to be very chaotic(uups, could that be flaming someone?).

Regarding to the flame topic, once reviewed some sources quoted by the other
guys in the list, seems to me that FLAME=AGGRESSION WITHIN
E-COMMUNICATION. That's it and no more. We do not refer here to a
sistematic relation where agression is the link (some kind of sado-masoquist
e-marriage), or organised verbal or graphic attacks to certain groups or
people.

There is where I find the lack of sense of the definition. If we are
just talking about the episodes when you or I drop aggresive verbal
intercourse, then the possible scenarios are ilimited and this will
lead to nothing more than speculative conclusions and headaches again, I
might be flaming someone that thinks, "this guy is really aggressive
disqualifying the whole discussion...").

On the other hand, if we turn to look to AGGRESSION within the web,
there are marvellous cases to study, i.e. recall the aggressions
between chinesse and northamerican hackers? That was a news heading about
one year ago.

More about hackers, attacks and swearing used when invading web sites. Even
more dramatic, extremist groups that use web sites to inflame agressive
feelings or attack some communities (i.e. Islam extremists or colombian
guerrilla web sites, even drug lords did have web sites).

Now, regarding a comment you did when I headed my e-mail like "HURRAY
EVA", should that be flaming to Sweedish community while to Latin americans
and North americans might be just fine? Here we begin to enter the
coplexities of verbal proximity in the web, within an environment. This
digest is supposed to be an academic community so writing to you "Hi sweetie
baby" might be flaming although you really might be sweet and a baby (uppps
again...). Vital space reflects then also into verbal e-communication and
transgressions to such verbal space are seen as flaming, although they might
not be swearing.

Have anyone participate (surelly you have but you you do not confess)
into adult chats (adult always means sex...). The symbolic significance of
such cyberspace gives new meaning to flame and I will be deligted to refer
to all of you some weird situations lived there that can be clear examples
of flaming comming to the limit of abuse! Just to begin I will tell you that
my name is Cristian but I entered with the nick "Cris", which can be
considered femenine or male but people tend more to think it is the name of
a lady. In fact, when the nick "cris" showed, a bunch of chatters threw
themselves to exert the most infamious amount of lassive and FLAMING
commments. This leads
me to conclude that flaming has also to do with the sex of the
participants as, sexual reference offers wider possibilities of aggression.

Well, if interested I will keep on with the story in the next issue.

Saludos

Cristian Berrio