[Air-l] Reflections on flame wars.

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Jan 17 05:44:21 PST 2002

robert m. tynes wrote:

>In order to refine/re-morph our *flaming* definition a bit more(focusing
>in on motivations), I'd like to offer this query:
>
>When is the following (see below) a flame, a typo,
>gibberish, or a joke?
>
>	a.)o(i.r.

it depends a bit, but i would say this is a joke, changing the 'o' to an
asterix and keeping the inverted parentheses would have been a flame to
me or could have generated a flame from me, because that has certain
meanings in certain arenas that I am familiar.  Of course the above
might have other meanings in different contexts that I am not familiar
with and could generate a flame from others.

I think that sometimes we might be thinking of flaming in a negative
context though, it can be, but really for some it is a highly polished
artform which has a variety of social purposes.  It takes a certain
skill with words to generate an applicable insult, and that should be
appreciated for what it is sometimes, but also it can be appreciated as
a way of normalizing a channel or newsgroup, etc.