[Air-l] CFP: Panel at Crossroads Conference

Kathleen O'Riordan K.S.O-Riordan at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 05:16:20 PST 2002

CROSSROADS IN CULTURAL STUDIES
       Fourth International Conference
       June 29 - July 2, 2002, Tampere, Finland

Accepted Panel Session:

New Theoretical Approaches to the Self in Cyber-Culture

This panel explores issues and arguments that have polarized studies of
new media technologies over the turn of the millennium. It draws on
inter-disciplinary research in media and communication studies, internet
research and cultural studies. We are concerned to explore issues of
cyber-subjectivity, taking as our starting point a re-examination of the
connections between the virtual and substantial self.
Understanding that the virtual self can be released from separate
categorization and regarded instead as both less and more than body,
text, or narrative, opens the way to re-examine where the self Œends¹
and Œbegins¹ in an informational world. This raises critical,
epistemological and ethical issues. We invite panellists who can
contribute in this area. Accepted papers include work on metaphor,
narrative identity, and research ethics.

       Organiser:
       Maren Hartmann
       Vrije Universiteit Brussel
       Pleinlaan 2 1050