[Air-l] Fake University Degree Programs

Steve Fox (NLG) stevef at microsoft.com
Tue Jan 22 07:09:16 PST 2002

I too receive a lot of these mails soliciting "fake" degree programs. However, because I work full-time and at one time was researching some on-line educational alternatives, I came across some on-line programs that were a) extensions of accredited universities, e.g. the MBA at the University of Colorado, which is quite well-known, and b) legitimate on-line universities that offered similar programs, but who were going through the accreditation process. While I'm not sure what this process entails, I imagine that legitimate on-line institutions exist for legitimate subject areas that can be sustained through a self-study environment. This leads me to believe that fake diplomas, i.e. illigitimate on-line universities, are really not doing the on-line educational system any justice. And for people who actively seek on-line educational alternatives, this presents a real problem. It also presents a real problem for the development of the on-line educational system as a whole. When we look at this in the context of the culture or experience of cyberspace, the fraudulent solicitation of diplomas inhibits the growth of something that could be a really great thing for people who want to extend themselves to the cyberspatial experience but can't because (beyond the obvious offerings of phrenology :-) ) they don't know how to discriminate between on-line institutions.