[Air-l] New Theoretical Approaches to the Self in Cyber-Culture

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Jan 22 10:30:44 PST 2002

unable to 'configure the self' is sounding somewhat similar to varieties
of schizoanalysis surrounding Felix Guattari's work, which somewhat
influenced Turkle's book mentioned earlier in this thread. There are
certainly other ways of going about analyzing the self which are
different, I tend toward theorizing the unconfigurable self, in part
because i can see denying the self as anything except an abstraction due
to other theoretical commitments.  So yes, there is a somewhat strong
tradition there that is slowly making inroads along these lines, but I
don't know how many people want to consider this, so I can provide
citations and other resources if anyone sends me a private message on it.