[Air-l] foucault and selves

GP pissingintheriver at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 26 06:08:15 PST 2002

Hi all, and it takes Msr Foucault and the lurking threads to draw me out
again...
I've been doing some work, trying to relate Foucault to weblogs -
specifically in terms of how his work on ideas of improving the self, not
confessing, but the writing of the self especially in ancient greece can be
reflected in part in the use and widespread phenomena of blogs. The need to
atone seems to have gone, replaced by the appearence of these online
identities which may or may not reflect the off-line people behind them...
However there are expecations of truth that go along with weblogs, and this
creates something of a power structure between author/creator and
reader/commentator which adds tto the muddle I seem to be in right now....
Never the less I do think St Michel is an excellent starting point in
looking at how online writings in terms of creating selves work.
I hope I've added not detracted something to the conversation with my AOIR
coming out.
Best regards
Geoff Parkes