[Air-l] Sources for characteristics of online students

Newberry, Brian Wayne bnewberry at ku.edu
Thu Jan 3 09:13:35 PST 2002

Greetings fellow list members. I'm searching for any studies that describe
characteristics of online students. Some questions that I am pondering:

Are students who take online classes self-selecting the online experience
because of some characteristic they share? If so, does the success of these
students in the current models of online learning lead to a greater
replication of the established models of learning online and reduce
exploration into new models that would better server students who are
currently self-selecting out of online learning?

Are there students who don't like online classes because of a learning style
or personality characteristic? If so, are there ways to alter the online
class experience to better fit these people's needs/desires?

Do designers of online classes need to alter online classes to better suit
an existing or perhaps a target population?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

---
Brian Newberry