[Air-l] summary of responses about community-networks

Mete Yildiz myildiz at indiana.edu
Tue Jan 15 22:53:08 PST 2002

Hi,

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my inquiry about community
networks. I would like to share the summary of the responses with the
group so that future inquirers about the subject might use the archive as
AIR-L's collective memory.

Some of these e-mails were personal correspondance. I hope it is Ok to
share the information portion with the group. I edited the e-mails
slightly. I hope others will benefit from them as I did.

Cheers,

Mete

Mete Yildiz

Ph.D. Student, Public Affairs
School of Public and Environmental Affairs
Indiana University Bloomington

Original Question:

All kinds of resources about (online) community networks.

1. from Sergey Veselovsky

You may want to look at some surveys like the following and search "online
communities" at amazon.com. Probably it's worth to subscribe for a
discussion group of online community professionals at
http://www.e-mint.org.uk

- Barry Wellman et al,"Does the Internet Increase, Decrease or
 Supplement Social Capital? Social Networks,
 Participation and Community Commitment"
 Revised Version American Behavioral
 Scientist, 45, 3 (November 2001), pp. 437-56.
available via
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/publications/index.html

- Pew Internet & American Life Project, "Online Communities: Networks that
nurture
long-distance relationships and local ties",
http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/toc.asp?Report=47

- UCLA, "Surveying the Digital Future",
http://www.ccp.ucla.edu/pages/internet-report.asp

2. From Christina Courtright

There's Michael Gurstein's mailing list on community informatics:
write to
        Majordomo at vcn.bc.ca
and in the body write
        subscribe communityinformatics
Or you can visit the Web site that hosts the list
        http://www.vcn.bc.ca/groups/

3. From Valdis Krebs

IMHO, the most advanced thinking in community networking is done by June
Holley
and her organization: Appalachian Center for Economic Networks in Athens,
OH --
http://www.acenetworks.org

They have even mapped out the small business/resource networks in the SE
Ohio
area [> 200 organizations and individuals] and are keeping network metrics
as
the networks evolve and change.  They are concentrating on three specific
relationships/networks:
1) Collaboration -- who works with whom
2) Expertise -- who seeks out whom for expert advice and mentoring
3) Innovation -- who gets ideas from whom, and who do they, in turn, share
them
with

4. From Kim Gregson

virtual communities annotated bibliography:
http://php.indiana.edu/~kgregson/virtual_communities.html

community networking annotated bib:
http://php.indiana.edu/~kgregson/main_menu.html

bibliography and online links for a papr i did with another SLIS grad
student (Charlotte Ford) on evaluating community nets
http://php.indiana.edu/~kgregson/eval_bib.html

I think there's a new book or a new version of his classic, by Howard
Rheingold on community networks

5. From Nick Jankowski

See the following URL for information on a upcoming conference concerning,
in part, community networks: http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jankow/Euricom

6. From David Silver

Thorsten Lohbeck compiled a massive bibliography focusing on community
networks.  It can be found here:

  http://orgwis.gmd.de/%7emambrey/cn_bibliogr.html

7. From Tomoaki Watanabe

The definite book on the subject is (still) Doug Schler's "New Community
Networks: Wired for change" ACM Press, 1996.

"Cyberdemocracy: Technology, cities, and civic networks" Eds. by
Rosa Tsagarousianou, Damian Tambini and Cathy Bryan. Routledge, 1998.
This book includes interesting chapters on e-government, participatory
democracy side of comnets.

Journal articles:
check
php.indiana.edu/~twatanab/citations.rtf

Some good conferences:
I would recommend to check out TPRC's archive section, too.
www.tprc.org -> archive
in 2001 and 2000, at least, they had some papers on community networks.
Maybe other years as well.

INET in the last year had a session on community networks, too. The papers
were interesting.

http://www.isoc.org/isoc/conferences/inet/01/

Other famous conferences include DIAC (organized by Doug Shuler, the
authoer of the definite book I mentioned first), and Global Community
Networking (GCN).

Web sites:

Blacksburg Electronic Village's web site has some usage analysis and other
reports. This and Canada's National Capital Net, Amsterdam's Digital City
are the most well-documented case studies. These are
published both online and on paper - some are only on paper.

U Michigan's school of information has a good project called Community
Connector.

Benton Foundation, a non-profit telecom-policy watchdog, has a page on
community networking, as well. Their home page is www.benton.org. They are
more interested in digital divide issue.