[Air-l] A general query re 'archives'.

Lachlan Brown lachlan at london.com
Sat Jan 26 14:45:38 PST 2002

A general query re 'archives'.

Someone in AoIR felt that the onus for
deciding which digital content or properties in digital form should be kept and which should be erased ought to lie with the Sys-Op.

Beside the fact that general policy
dictated at most universities a six month period beyond the end of contract of staff member or student - this varied depending
upon the storgage capacities of different institutions as well as their different
levels of polity in these matters, is this not
a difficult contract for the management of
digital properties, in the industries of education and of media at large?

1. the 'world view' of the sys-op is, the
sys-op would be the first to agree, a fairly narrow one. Hence the sys-op, blessed with
heightened 'wisdom' or not, is perhaps not the
best person to make judgement concerning
such properties.

2. This onus on the sys-op puts him or her
(but of course most often him) in a position
of legal responsibility that he or she would
nor the industry would like to bear.

3. the combination of fairly narrow
world-view with heightened legal responsibility compromises our digital properties to abuses of power.

  I have a few instances in mind.
I wonder what the general level of perception, understanding and insight is among the Association of Internet Researchers about
this question.

I mean, are there any legal minds in AoIR,
and if not would AoIR like connection with
some?

  Lachlan Brown

  (416) 826 6937
  VM (416) 822 1123