[Air-l] Re: Flame Wars

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Sun Jan 13 09:08:11 PST 2002

Since no one has mentioned it, let me offer this reference regarding
flaming published WAY BACK in the dark ages! They argue a number of
things, including that there is no good definition, that flaming is
normative rather than medium-caused, and that flaming is probably no
more common online than off but that people think it is because it is
more _visible_ online than off (and they offer a number of compelling
reasons this is so). I haven't seen a better piece on the topic than
this one...

Lea, M., O'Shea, T., Fung, P., & Spears, R. (1992). 'Flaming' in
computer-mediated communication: observations, explanations,
implications. In M. Lea (Ed.), Contexts of computer-mediated
communication, (pp. 89-112). London: Harvester-Wheatsheaf.

The best definition I have found so far is Walther et al. (1994) who,
in a meta-analysis, defined flaming operationally as name calling,
swearing, insults, impolite statements, threats and put-downs, crude
flirtations of a demeaning or sexually explicit nature, and attacks
on groups or individuals

Walther, J. B., Anderson, J. F., & Park, D. (1994). Interpersonal
effects in computer-mediated interaction: A meta-analysis of social
and anti-social communication. Communication research, 21, 460-487.

I've always wanted to see a comparative analysis of flaming online
vs. behind the wheel of a car. Talk about a medium that causes
anonymity and hostility! I'll take computers over cars any day!

Nancy

Nancy Baym
nbaym at ku.edu
http://www.ku.edu/home/nbaym
Communication Studies, University of Kansas
102 Bailey, 1440 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Association of Internet Researchers: http://aoir.org