[Air-l] bram's idea

Jonathan Sterne jsterne+ at pitt.edu
Fri Jan 11 09:24:28 PST 2002

At 12:01 PM 1/11/02 -0500, air-l-request at aoir.org wrote:
>From: Bram Dov Abramson <bda at bazu.org>
>Subject: [Air-l] Re: netiquette needs a new command
>
> >What's needed is for listservs to have a different sort of Reply command,
>
>You know, a halfway solutiojn wouldn't be that hard to write.
>
>Small script which reads incoming listserv messages.  Counts the
>number of lines that begin with ">".  Counts the number of lines that
>don't.  If the former is, say, at least double the latter, then
>refuse the message with an automated response mailed back to the
>sender.

Hi All,

Just a note to endorse Bram's idea and to add that it works on another list
I use (the Bottom Line, a list for bassists).  In fact, they say that if
the quoted material is longer than the original message, the message gets
bounced.  They also don't allow "subject" headers with the last digest
number in them, so people actually have to type in the subject.  If your
message gets bounced, you get a polite note with it explaining what to do
so that it won't be bounced next time.  Highly recommended.

Best,
--J