[Air-l] Reflections on flame wars.

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Jan 17 10:12:46 PST 2002

>I'm afraid I'd have to disagree, at least slightly. Yes, it's a sign of some
>sort of emotional or social commitment. But there are well-crafted,
>intelligent flames, and there are measly, dippy flames which indicate some
>sort of breakdown of normal social controls and constraints.

I agree.  But the question here is "to whom do they appear dippy, and
why?"  what norms are constructed, etc?

>Jeremy, your view is a little utopian. Yes, there are artistic, even elegant
>flames that neatly defuse an argument while manically ranting about the
>state of the world. But there are also flames that are simply obnoxious,
>off-the-cuff responses to a message that is irritating.

actually they can be the same thing from different
perspectives/audiences, but nonetheless they have some merit in either
case I think.  It is easy to see that flames serve some sort of function
though and it is not always negative to either the group, the writer, or
the recipient, and that was my sole point.

--
jeremy hunsinger		http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy
cddc/political science		http://www.cddc.vt.edu