[Air-l] Re: techology in Hollywood

Frank Schaap architext at fragment.nl
Mon Jan 21 04:30:01 PST 2002

Jonathan wrote:
> Slightly off topic, but I've noticed that in a lot of action/thriller-type
> films, there's some kind of important scene where a character has to do
> something on a computer.  The convention was clearly developed in the
> 1980s
> because you always hear the nonstop sound of . . . TYPING.  Not a single
> mouse-click.  Pick any recent Hollywood scene of this type, and I
> guarantee
> you'll hear what I mean.

<snip>

probably on Slashdot I once almost died laughing when reading a discussion of
developing a GUI (Graphic User Interface) that would actually look like the
interfaces in Hollywood movies. this developed quickly into how to make an
Operating System that would meet the requirements of average computer use in a
Hollywood movie. needless to say that this would involved oversized fonts and
indeed, typing sounds as characters typed by a remote party appear on screen,
etc.

as for technology in movies:

Hackers <http://us.imdb.com/Title?0113243> These hacker kids DON'T look like
nerds (featuring a young(er) Angelina Jolie) and features a scene of Crash
Override and Acid Burn waxing lyrically about the specs of Acid's top of the
line notebook. Also neat/crappy in this movie are the visualizations of
Gibsonesque cyberspace and Plague's love-affair with his mainframe.

Sneakers <http://us.imdb.com/Title?0105435> Not a bad movie really, plus it
has Robert Redford in it ;) Kind of neat scenes where the workings of the
Universal Key Generator are discussed and the scene where they observe through
a telescope (often telescopes, nightscopes etc. are overlooked as
indispensible Hollywood technology) the location where the device is hidden
(in an answering machine).

Frank.

--
The Cyberculture, Identity and Gender Resources
==> http://fragment.nl/resources/