[Air-l] Flame Wars

Eva Ekeblad eva.ekeblad at goteborg.utfors.se
Thu Jan 10 03:56:32 PST 2002

At 23.02 -0800 02-01-09, robert m. tynes scrobe:
>Has anyone out there participated in a flame war?(The more recent, the
>better.) If so, I'd been interested in hearing about it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Robert Tynes

What qualifies as a flame war in your book?

I mean, I seem to get into conflicts by email pretty regularly (a lot more
often than IRL) but although this shows me how easily people (me and
others) are emotionally upset by email interactions the use of strong
abusive language that I connect with a "flame war" is very rare, even
totally absent (depending on where you draw the line).

Like, since Christmas I have already A) had two long messages that gave me
a headache and set my cheeks afire: the offspring of my attempt to mediate
in a listserve conflict, which was then taken "backstage" in a cc-triad
wher I was actually trying to start up a cooperation with one of the main
participants in the list event; B) managed to insult an old net friend in
an entirely different context, by... well I'm biassed of course - by
putting one of his favorite power strategies in words indicating he's
over-using it. The dangers of turning the tools of analysis upon the
conversation between the analysts...

shall we dance?

Eva