[Air-l] Re: Flame Wars

Karla Tonella Karla-Tonella at uiowa.edu
Fri Jan 11 12:26:10 PST 2002

Wouldn't a flame war have to include direct and indirect ad-hominum
attacks?  Conflict doesn't necessarily get personal regardless of the
intensity of disagreement. I'd think that it becomes a flame war only
if and when it devolves into attacks on the person holding an opinion
and even then I'd hesitate to call it a flame war unless more than
one participant engaged in ad-hominum arguments.

Speaking of flame wars -- I'm sure many of you are familiar with the
e-mail program Eudora.  It has a warning/filter function that it
calls "Mood Watch" which can be set to warn you if you are about to
send a message that may offend people.  Of course some of the filters
are set to catch sex-related language, (like the preceding phrase),
but it will also flag a message if it uses phrases like "you need
help."  The 3-stages of offensiveness are flagged with 1 to 3 chili
peppers. The 3 chili message appears if the "message is on fire."

--
"The opposite of talking isn't listening. The opposite of talking is