[Air-l] Re: this list as a SPAM addr source

Frank Schaap architext at fragment.nl
Mon Jan 21 14:43:22 PST 2002

Valdis wrote:
> Most lists with archives are mined for email addresses... IMHO we should
> remove
> all personal email addresses off this list or display our addresses like

yeah... but what Jeremy said, we don't live in a perfect world and unless we
trash the archives we need to find someone with a lot of time on their hands
or someone willing to spend a lot of money on it.

best advice I can give you (partly from a recently forwarded message to the
Cyberculture list, I believe originally from Cybermind):

- set up a free e-mail account that you then use to do your public online
business with, and when it starts gathering too much spam, just kill the
account and start over.

- keep your primary e-mail account for friends and business contacts only,
never give it out anywhere, never post it on a website.

- never and I'll say that again, never reply to a spam mail, especially not if
it says click or go here to get off this list, because this will only confirm
that your account is live and being read

- if you have to give out some e-mail address to get in somewhere, it might
pay to set up several dummy accounts, so you can see which services actually
cause you to receive spam.

- use Spamcop.net to report spam; make sure you remove all unique identifiers
that spammers attach these days (like the XR15HYYYY in the subject line or
some such code at the end of the message, often outside of the HTML), before
you report the spam to the upstream providers.

that should take care of some of the problem. main point: separate public and
private/business accounts.

Cheers,

Frank.

--
The Cyberculture, Identity and Gender Resources
==> http://fragment.nl/resources/