[Air-l] (Fwd) [online-ads] Political use of online advertising

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Tue Jul 2 15:34:29 PDT 2002

Is anyone out there tracking online political/advocacy advertising?

Steven Clift
Reply to: clift at publicus.net

From:           	"Steven Clift" <slc at publicus.net>
To:             	Online Advertising Discussion List Subscriber
<slc at publicus.net>
Date sent:      	Mon, 01 Jul 2002 22:52:11 -0500
Subject:        	[online-ads] Political use of online advertising
Send reply to:  	online-ads at o-a.com

I run the 2,400+ Democracies Online Newswire
<http://www.e-democracy.org/do> e-list.  I am putting together a post

on online political advertising with eye toward the 2002 U.S.
elections.

1. What companies specialize in placing online political/advocacy
advertising?

2. Has anyone seen election 2002 related online advertising yet?

3. Targeting.  I am going to suggest that with geographic targeting,
online advertising might be a useful tool for the following
audiences:

A. Core supporters - Find them early, get them to opt-in onto your
e-newsletter, encourage them to volunteer, limit online fundraising
ads within your state this round - focus on message
B. Undecideds - Determine their demographics and find sites/site
sections that have those voters
C. Weak Constituencies - If you are weak with suburban men for
example, advertise with specific messages in the online sports
section of the local paper to stem leakage.
D. National contributors - If you are a U.S. Senate candidate, use
national media and political sites to fund raise for the "balance of
the Senate"

What do you think?

4. E-mail Opt-in - If you look at most campaign sites, e-mail
newsletter subscribe forms are know above the top fold of every site.

How can advertising in e-mail newsletters or on Hotmail/Yahoo Mail be

used to maximize the number of subscribers?

5.  Minnesota online advertising - Minnesota is my home state.  This
is where the first online campaign ad was bought in 1998 and where I
expect to see more of this activity with very competitive U.S. Senate

and Governor races.  Is anyone out there an expert on the online
content market/online use of the net by Minnesotans?

Please cc: clift at publicus.net

Thanks,
Steven Clift
http://www.publicus.net

P.S. There is a good set of banner ad examples from the 2000 election

here: http://www.domesticpolicy.com/analysis.html
And this RNC e-mail opt-in campaign was notable:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/cti733.htm
http://www.rnc.org/media/pdfs/rt1311.pdf

+++

You are currently subscribed to online-ads as: slc at publicus.net