[Air-l] Great Ethical disasters in Internet Research?

Annette Markham amarkham at uic.edu
Wed Jul 17 09:28:34 PDT 2002

I'm perhaps joining the conversation after the rain has ended....and
because the weather in Chicago is so hot, the air conditioning prompts me
to stay indoors and write long-winded replies...

I heartily agree with you, Chris (and others in this thread) that a
researcher's methodological decisions are vitally connected to the ethics
of the project.

Brainstorming here, every phase in the research project entails choices
that are simultaneously method and ethics choices, where the well-intended
researcher can make decisions that have serious ethical consequences, both
to the participants being studied and research colleagues.  Some of these
decision points:

I.  The choice about accessing the data.  This decision involves, among
other things, preserving rights of participants and is a methodological choice.

II.  The choice of data collection tool is an ethical choice--how to
capture the stuff of experience later called "data."  Here, the researcher
will make choices that necessarily abstract experience.  One ethical issue
is the extent to which the abstraction is a good representation ("good"
meaning many things, of course, ethically speaking).

One's discipline helps to dictate but does not completely determine the
rules of conduct about how one approaches the participants.  For example,
the fields of psychology, linguistics, and ethnography each have their own
ideas (theories, standard practices, rules of thumb...), but the
interdisciplinary nature of Internet Studies allows much blending of
approaches/tools/theories.  Practically speaking, this means a researcher
has license to pick and choose from many traditions, and each choice has
ethical consequences.

III.  Choice of tool to analyze the data:  The process of making sense of
the stuff later called data is a series of choices which are ethical
choices, through and through.

As we interpret, people's experiences are thematized, categorized,
excerpted, generalized, etc.  The result of empirical studies inform future
studies, build theory.  Put heavily, every choice we make as individual
researchers informs future knowledge.  Seemingly simple choices are never
value free or morally neutral.

IV.  Writing Conventions:  Choices about how the participants are framed,
active versus passive researcher voice.....depending on who the researcher
is writing for, the report will change.  The results may also shift,
depending on the purpose/audience.

V.  More writing/editing decisions: Choices about what is absent/omitted
from the research report.  What got left out?  Omissions have consequences
for knowledge production, and the decisions are tied up with both method
traditions and ethics (voice of the participants, data that might be
unfavorable for the researcher's question/results, the researcher's own
experiences that influenced the study from beginning to end)

So, as you imply, your request for "great ethical disasters" is complicated
by the fact that one could question the ethics of a study at multiple
points of the project.  Mary Gray's "tangent" thread is an example of how
one is compelled to critique the ethics of research based on criteria that
doesn't fall into the obvious (more discussed) category of violating rights
of participants at the outset of the project.

.....I guess this is a long winded way of saying:  I think the *disasters*
are important, but just as important (the word "insidious" comes to mind)
are the seemingly minor transgressions, dismissed because they are *just*
methodology choices (not ethically based) or even non-decisions because the
researcher's discipline requires adherence to certain procedures (therefore
not subject to interrogation/reflection).

Annette