[Air-l] Anthropology & Sociology

Rachel Harris R.Harris at udcf.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jun 21 07:39:24 PDT 2002

Dear All

I'm in the process of reviewing different perspectives on online (learning)
communities. As someone from a sciences/psychology background, I would very
much appreciate a definition of the distinction between anthropology and
sociology in this area. From what I've read so far, and on a very basic
level, it seems that anthropology would focus on the differences amongst
people - their shared values and meanings - in different communities; while
a sociological approach might be more interested in the structures, social
order, etc within different communities.

Can anyone point me to an appropriate article, or suggest a definition?

Thanks for your help.

Rachel

Dr Rachel A Harris
Scottish Centre for Research into On-Line Learning and Assessment
University of Glasgow
Florentine House
53 Hillhead Street
Glasgow, G12 8QQ