[Air-l] Web-based Surveys

John B. White john.white at wku.edu
Fri Jun 28 09:42:30 PDT 2002

I find cold-fusion works wonderfully for a middleware solution.  The back end
can be almost any database product, so long as the server has the appropriate
drivers.  SPSS and SAS can both import tab delimited, ascii text, or in the case
of dbf or mdb files, directly query the datatabels themselves to bring the data
over analysis.

Using this method requires the researcher or a programer to understand HTML
forms, submission, and SQL.  Once you get those down, Cold-Fusion is a fairly
easy to learn product with its tag based format.  Homesite is the editor of
choice (even above Dreamweaver) although you can use other editors.  I find this
particularly useful when i want to use open ended questions.  You can capture
rich data in a memo field (in MS Access or other format) and supplement that
with more objective, Likert questions and other traditional survey instruments.

--JW