[Air-l] fyi

radhika gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Mon Jun 10 06:04:21 PDT 2002

Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 17:52:25 -0400
From: "Sophia Huyer" <shuyer at wigsat.org>
To: <wigsat-l at list.wigsat.org>, <global-l at list.ifias.ca>
Subject: INSTRAW Virtual Seminar Series on Gender and ICT

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to inform you that INSTRAW has launched its research and
networking project on “Gender and ICTs”. A special website, containing
searchable database of resources, news and events, relevant links and
information on the seminar series has been prepared to serve as a portal
to this project.

I would like to invite you to participate in the “Virtual Seminar Series”
on Gender and ICTs which are meant to be forums for exchange of research
based knowledge and information through discussions and background
materials. Thy aim at highlighting good practices and lessons learned,
identification of research and policy gaps, and outlining policy options
and recommendations. The Virtual Seminars will result in Synthesis Paper,
plus weekly summaries of discussions.

The guest moderator to the seminar series is Sophia Huyer, Executive
Director of Women in Global Science and Technology (WIGSAT) and Executive
Director of the Gender Advisory Board of the United Nations Commission on
Science and Technology for Development. Background papers prepared by
experts from different regions of the world will serve to stimulate the
discussions:

1. Are ICTs Gender Neutral?
Date: 1 – 12 July 2002
Backrgound paper:  “Is ICT gender-neutral?  A gender analysis of six case
studies of multi-donor ICT projects” by Nancy Hafkin

2. Women and ICTs:  Enabling and Disabling Environments.
Date:  15-26 July 2002
Background paper:  “Cyberfeminist technological practices:  Exploring
possibilities for a women-centered design of technological environments”
by Radhika Gajala

3. Engendering Management and Regulation of ICTs.
Date:  29 July – 9 August 2002
Background paper: “Engendering Management and Regulation of ICTs” by Anita
Anand and Apesh Uppal.

4. Empowering Women using ICTs.
Date:  12 –23 August 2002
 Background paper: “Empowering Women for Public Policy Advocacy:
Looking Behind the Internet to Enable Citizen Information Systems” by
Juliana Martínez and Katherine Reilly

5. Bridging the Gender Digital Divide
Date: 26 August – 6 September 2002
Background paper: “The Use of Information and Communication
Technologies as a Tool to Bridge the Gender Digital Gap: A Case on the Use
of a Locally-developed CD-Rom by Rural Women in Uganda” by Rita Mijumbi

To subscribe to the ICTNet, the listserv through which the Virtual Seminar
Series will be held, send an email to ICTnet-request at un-instraw.org with
the word "subscribe" in the subject line. For more information about this
and the project in general go to INSTRAW website at
http://un-instraw.org/en/research/gender_and_ict/
Looking forward to your participation in these discussions and your
contribution to our understanding of the obstacles and opportunities that
ICTs have for women worldwide.

Tatjana Sikoska
Officer-in-Charge
INSTRAW

___________
Radhika Gajjala
Bowling Green State University

http://personal.bgsu.edu/~radhik
http://www.cyberdiva.org
http://lingua.utdallas.edu:7000/4425/

"I am not erudite enough to be interdisciplinary, but I can break rules" -
Spivak, 1999.

"Just bear in mind, darling: Write Mortal. Think Witch" - Endora from
"Bewitched"

_____