[Air-l] something totally different

Thomas Burg burg at donau-uni.ac.at
Mon Mar 4 23:29:08 PST 2002

Dear Members:
I dare to ask something on the margins of this list.
We at our university have to invent Master Programs that are internationally comparable. That means here in Austria we are moving from national to international systems and naming.
Due to a lack of tradition we struggle with the meaning of MA and MSc programs. We cannot distinguish precisely what makes up the one or the other. Our field is that of New Media, Telematics, Knowledge Management - thus more on the production and management side. We found several programs out there that cover more or less similar contents and courses but are named MA or MSc without any comprehensible reason. Some colleagues are opting for MSc as the default label for our programs but I'm not so sure about that.

Thanks for listening

Thomas N. Burg,

Center for New Media
http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/newmedia