[Air-l] Re: something totally different

Thomas Burg burg at donau-uni.ac.at
Wed Mar 6 00:09:56 PST 2002

Bram,
the idea is - along with the Bologna declaration of the EU - that students and faculty
get mobilized thus one thinks the first step is to harmonize the different educational systems
and make them more easily comparable so they can move from one spot to the other.
A structural shift is definentely the decision to implement Bachelor programs, here in Austria
we didn't have that. One says the industry is very favourable about that.

Anyway I think education gets commoditized in a way.

thomas, austria

burg at donau-uni.ac.at:
>I dare to ask something on the margins of this list.
>We at our university have to invent Master Programs that are
>internationally comparable. That means here in Austria we are moving
>from national to international systems and naming.
>Due to a lack of tradition we struggle with the meaning of MA and
>MSc programs.

Hurray for margins!  I dare to ask a question, too.  What makes MA
and MSc naming more international than, say, Magister?  A MastFre
more international than a DEA?  Where, one wonders, did it all start
... ?

cheers
Bram