[Air-l] re: the commons; the public domain, etc.

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Tue Mar 19 06:27:48 PST 2002

I also have a significant interest in the commons, having done some work
on it in relation to a variety of topics, historical,, theoretical, and
internet related. But on a much sadder note, I received a copy of this
announcement a few weeks ago and now it is up on their website, so I
thought I'd share it.

> http://www.centerforthepublicdomain.org/

* Update on the Center for the Public Domain*

Dear Friends,

The Center for the Public Domain passionately believes that the
scientific, artistic and entrepreneurial spirit of our society relies on
access to a robust public domain. We recognize that the balance between
intellectual property rights and freely reusable knowledge is the basis
of our cultural heritage and scientific tradition. For the past two
years, the Center has invigorated the vibrant public domain of knowledge
part of the equation.

Since our inception as a venture philanthropic enterprise, we have
contributed to the founding of several organizations that study, nurture
and secure the health of the public domain. We've helped ensure the
success of these institutions through major gifts, grants and donations.
We have built partnerships, united key parties and supported programs
that strengthen the public community of shared knowledge and culture
across many sectors - technology, law, medicine, academic research,
education, media and the arts.

Our job here is done. We are passing the torch to these leaders who will
carry on the Center's legacy. We'd like to thank everyone who recognizes
the importance of Sir Isaac Newton's truth, "If I have seen further, it
is by standing on the shoulders of giants." We'd particularly like to
thank everyone who has helped the Center further its mission over the
past two years. It has been a blast.

Please nourish these organizations as they carry this important work
forward:

Public Knowledge <http://www.publicknowledge.org/>

Creative Commons <http://www.creativecommons.org/>

Center for the Study of the Public Domain at Duke University School of
Law <http://www.law.duke.edu/ip/>

The Norman Lear Center at University of Southern California
<http://entertainment.usc.edu/>

Berkeley Center for Law & Technology
<http://www.law.berkeley.edu/institutes/bclt/>

Consumer Project on Technology <http://www.cptech.org/>

ibiblio at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
<http://www.ibiblio.org/>

American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
<http://www.aaas.org/>

National Academy of Sciences
<http://www4.nationalacademies.org/nas/nashome.nsf/>

Future of Music Coalition (FMC) <http://www.futureofmusic.org/>

Legal Information Institute at Cornell University Law School
<http://lii.law.cornell.edu/>

Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) <http://www.eff.org/>

Very Truly Yours,

The Center for the Public Domain