[Air-l] Internet Research - Africa

Daniel Pare d.pare at lse.ac.uk
Thu Mar 21 09:52:13 PST 2002

Hello Robert,

An excellent bit of research on this matter is:

Maitland, Carleen. 2001. Institutional Assets: Shaping the Potential for
Electronic Commerce in Developing Countries. Unpublished Doctoral
Dissertation, Economics of Infrastructure, Faculty of Technology, Policy
and Management, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands.

This dissertation contains an excellent case study of the state of
e-commerce in Tanzania.

Also, I am currently involved in a DFID funded research project that is
looking at e-commerce use/up-take in the garments/apparel and
horticulture sectors in South Africa, Kenya, and Bangladesh. We will be
having some country specific outputs in the very near future. In the
meantime, you may want to check out the following site:
<http://www.gapresearch.org/production/ecommerce.html>.

I also recommend that you take a look at the work of Mike Jensen, his
status reports on the state of the Internet are probably amongst the
best availible <http://demiurge.wn.apc.org/africa/afstat.htm> and
<http://www3.sn.apc.org/africa/afrmain.htm>.

Finally, you may want to check out some of the work that is being done
at the Institute of Development Studies at the University of Natal,
South Africa.

Be well,
Dan

Dr. Daniel J. Paré,