[Air-l] RE: plagiarism

Eszter Hargittai eszterlists at netscape.net
Fri Mar 22 14:15:46 PST 2002

Hi,

Lori, thanks for sharing how you try to curtail plagiarism via your assignments, those were helpful suggestions.

For schools where students take the honor code seriously, I think it may be worth reminding them of it at the time of each assigment (and reminding students the ramifications of plagiarism).  But I realize that only works when this is taken very seriously.

Here are some online resources for those who are not familiar with the services to which some people had referred:

The Plagiarism Resource Center
http://plagiarism.phys.virginia.edu/

Plagiarism prevention service
http://www.turnitin.com

Explanation of how the service works
http://www.plagiarism.org

Anti-Plagiarism Experts Raise Questions About Services With Links
to Sites Selling Papers
http://chronicle.com/free/2002/03/2002031201t.htm

One method I use to try to track down sources is to type into Google (using quotes) one of the more complex sentences in the paper. Since Google now indexes MSWord and PDF in addition to HTML, this is often helpful.

Eszter

---
Eszter's List: http://www.eszter.com/elist