[Air-l] Re: ethnic spamming

Valdis valdis at orgnet.com
Mon Mar 25 09:49:49 PST 2002

Yes, I have also receive regular Korean & Chinese spam that I cannot read.
Once you get a on list...

When I start receiving SPAM written in Latvian, I will know that someone has
perfected a 'ethnic finder'.  This may not be that hard to do -- just look for
first names that are common only in that language.  I'm sure someone Perl
expert could even write code to differentiate between nationalities with
similar spellings... i.e. Valdis[Latvian --> send SPAM about Riga based
business], Valdas[Lithuanian --> send SPAM about Vilnius based business].

Valdis Krebs
http://www.orgnet.com

air-l-request at aoir.org wrote:

[SNIP]

> AFAIK, I have not signed up to any "indian" or "pakistani" or south
> asian websites, they must have dredged e-mail addresses and then matched
> them with ethnic names.
>
> Anyone else come across this fine grained spamming?

[SNIP]

> Indeed I have... also many spam in a character set that looks like Japanese,
> Mandarin or Korean...

[SNIP]