[Air-l] trans-national diaspora networks

girija kaimal girijakay at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 15:15:34 PST 2002

 Dr wellman,
There has been some documentation about a group of poeple from Orissa, India who put together a site called Ornet where they converse, educate, argue and keep in touch with each other. I  donot have the precise urls but Radhika Gajjala has written on this group. One of my classmates wrote a paper on being part of this group and I have forwarded this email to him.
Could you include me on the list that you will create because I am interested in groups that many extended families originating in India have created using services like Yahoo egroups.
thanks
Girija Kaimal,
Harvard Graduate School of Education

  Barry Wellman <wellman at chass.utoronto.ca> wrote: Folks,
I'd be grateful if anyone could point me to their (or others') work about
how the Internet links trans-national diasporic communities where some
folks have migrated from the home country and others haven't. I'm mostly
interested in email, but also Internet phone, web boards, Usenet, et al.

En passant, the lovely Monsoon Wedding has some nice offhand references to
this, as the families come from Houston, Dubai, etc. for a Delhi wedding.

Pls reply to me personally, and I will then summarize for the list.

Barry

Barry Wellman Professor of Sociology NetLab Director
wellman at chass.utoronto.ca http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman

Centre for Urban & Community Studies University of Toronto
455 Spadina Avenue Toronto Canada M5S 2G8 fax:+1-416-978-7162