[Air-l] Intercultural communication

Han Lee hlee37 at uic.edu
Sun Mar 31 22:13:29 PST 2002

The following is an article about how ESL (English as a Second Language)
students--most participants were Asian--in some U.S. colleges have interacted
with American tutors on the Internet in comparison to their offline
interactions:

Freiermuth, M.R. (2001). Native speakers or non-native speakers: Who has the
floor? Online and face-to-face interaction in culturally mixed small groups.
Computer Assisted Language Learning, 14, 169-199.

And as far as Charles Ess' "Culture, Technology, Communication" is concerned,
it seems to be more about computer-mediated communication at specific cultures
only (non-western) than intercultural communication. For instance, one chapter
that is listed under the category of "East-West/East" is about the recent
arrival of computer-mediated communication and its social impacts on young
Korean generation, rather than about how those from Korean culture
inter-communicated with those from another culture over the Internet. The
actual portion of intercultural computer-mediated communication in the book
isn't much as it sounds from the title: "Towards an Intercultural Global
Village." However, I think the book is still valuable because it still
provides perspectives that are "less western" or "the other side of the
story."

Personally, I would be interested in hearing more about your research--if that
is the intention of finding sources for intercultural communication mediated
over the Internet.

Han

>Hello,
>
>I was wondering if anybody knows of any
>prior research / literature about intercultural
>communication mediated over the internet
>or other electronic media, in specific between
>the west and asia.
>
>i came across the following:
>
>Ma, Ringo, ­Computer-Mediated Conversations as a New Dimension of
>Intercultural Communication between East Asian and North American College
>Students,­" in Susan C. Herring (ed.), Computer-Mediated Communication:
>Linguistic, Social and Cross-Cultural Perspectives. Amsterdam, Philadelphia:
>John Benjamins Publishing Company, 1996. pp.173-185.
>
>regards,
>Lokman Tsui
>National Taiwan University / Leiden University

>===== Original Message From "David Palfreyman" <David.Palfreyman at zu.ac.ae>
=====
>Re Charles's post, the URL of CATAC '02 is
http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac02/.  As I remember, the
proceedings of CATAC '98 focused on macro issues of information systems and
national cultures.  Personally, I would look forward at the CATAC '02 to more
focus on particular intercultural interactions and the part which culture and
online communication play in them - which I think was more what Lokman Tsui
was asking about...?
>As far as I know there is a lack of research in this area.  The only possibly
relevant reference I can offer I think is
 Retrieved 10 February 2002 from http://www.dawn.com/events/infotech/it16.htm.